Wow, things are really starting to shake up around GMO’s. My inbox is filled with emails regarding GMO’s. There is a FREE upcoming tele summit that you must consider attending. It’s that important. Click here to register!
So why should you care about GMO’s….genetically modified organisms? Because they are created in laboratories. This is not selective breeding where a farmer took an apple tree that produced alot of apples and grafted it with one that grew low to the ground so the apples where easier to access. GMO’s are foods that are produced from combining genes of DIFFERENT organisms. Like a fish and a tomato. Yuck!
According to the Non-GMO Project, High-Risk Crops are identified as:
- Alfalfa (first planting 2011)
- Canola (approx. 90% of U.S. crop)
- Corn (approx. 88% of U.S. crop in 2011)
- Cotton (approx. 90% of U.S. crop in 2011)
- Papaya (most of Hawaiian crop; approximately 988 acres)
- Soy (approx. 94% of U.S. crop in 2011)
- Sugar Beets (approx. 95% of U.S. crop in 2010)
- Zucchini and Yellow Summer Squash (approx. 25,000 acres)
ALSO high-risk: animal products (milk, meat, eggs, honey, etc.) because of contamination in feed.
Vegan or Paleo, there seems to be no escape here from GMO’s in our food supply. While the debate is ongoing about whether GMO’s are harmful, I deserve to know if what I’m eating is genetically engineered or not and dammit, so do you!